Some folks take pleasure in trimming as a result of it’s a superb alternative to attach with the plant, particularly if you’ve been rising it for months. But some dread trimming as a result of it’s so monotonous.
Whichever sort you’re, know that trimming even solely a few plants will take hours, even days. Be sure you have some good albums or podcasts queued up, and it at all times helps to have a buddy or two serving to out. You’ll have loads of bud to spare.
- 1 Why is trimming marijuana vital?
- 2 Cannabis additionally takes on a tighter, extra uniform look and has extra bag attraction when trimmed.
- 3 There are two methods to go about trimming weed, every with professionals and cons.
- 4 Dry marijuana trimming
- 5 Pros
- 6 To trim weed, you have to:
- 7 Whether trimming wet or dry, the strategy of trimming buds is identical.
- 8 If wet trimming, don’t fear about drying but and go to step 2.
- 9 Step 3: Buck buds from the department
- 10 Trimmers normally create a pile of buds to work on, both on a desk or in a bowl or tray.
- 11 Step 4: Trim buds
- 12 To trim:
- 13 Put all of your completed buds in a separate bowl or tray.
- 14 Learn extra about drying and curing right here.
- 15 Hand-trimmed vs. machine-trimmed weed
- 16 Pros and cons of hand trimming marijuana
Why is trimming marijuana vital?
Trimming removes buds from plants, reducing off branches, stems, and sugar and fan leaves. All of those are harsh to smoke and don’t comprise many trichomes, though they do have a bit.
When wet trimming, eradicating all that pointless plant matter additionally reduces the moisture content material of buds, permitting for a extra even dry.
Cannabis additionally takes on a tighter, extra uniform look and has extra bag attraction when trimmed.
Wet vs. dry cannabis trimming
There are two methods to go about trimming weed, every with professionals and cons.
Wet marijuana trimming
Wet trimming occurs multi function sitting: You’ll minimize down the plant, minimize buds off branches-referred to as “bucking”-trim the buds, after which place them on a drying rack, the place they’ll sit for a number of days.
– Removing sugar and fan leaves is less complicated-they get shriveled and dried up in dry trimming
– With much less moisture-stuffed foliage connected to the flowers, drying will occur extra rapidly; this may be useful in humid climates the place mold is a priority
– If you’re tight on house, wet trimming removes a bulk of the plant to start with, so that you don’t must dangle complete plants as much as dry
– Trimming wet may even provide you with a tighter and extra aesthetically pleasing closing product
– Many argue that as a result of buds are stickier when being dealt with, trichomes stay intact, which preserves terpenes and flavors in the ultimate product
Wet trimming may be very sticky. Trichomes will get in your fingers, your trimming shears, your physique, all the things. Gloves are really helpful; rubbing alcohol or coconut oil is crucial.
Dry marijuana trimming
With dry trimming, you’ll reduce down the plant and cling the entire thing to dry for a number of days first. When it’s dry, you’ll buck buds off branches and trim them.
– Keeping leaves on at first makes the drying course of slower; this may be nice in arid climates, as a fast dry could cause excess terpene loss
– It’s quite a bit much less messy-trichomes harden as weed dries, lowering the quantity of get-on-every little thing stickiness
– Those much less-sticky, much less-messy trichomes are additionally extra brittle and liable to breaking; you’ll need to handle your crop with care to preserve trichomes and THC ranges
– Hanging whole plants takes up considerably extra space than in case you discard excess plant materials first; be certain that you have got enough drying area earlier than dry trimming
Marijuana trimming instruments wanted
To trim weed, you have to:
– Scissors (for trimming buds)
– Pruners (useful for massive branches)
– Comfortable chair and space
– A clear floor, like a desk
– Tray/bowl and a clear floor
– Rubbing alcohol
– Proper clothes (ones that may get sticky)
How you can trim cannabis buds
After you’ve arrange your drying room and trimming space, and your weed plants are prepared to return down, it’s time to get trimming.
Whether trimming wet or dry, the strategy of trimming buds is identical.
Step 1: Cut down the plant and lower off branches
Using a stable pair of pruning shears, lower off branches, breaking the plant down into smaller items till you get to the principle stalk of the plant, which might get lower off near the soil.
If dry trimming, you’ll grasp the plant for drying now, both in its entirety or its smaller branches. Try extra on drying right here. Drying plants will likely be prepared for trimming when stems snap. Don’t bend-often 3-7 days later.
If wet trimming, don’t fear about drying but and go to step 2.
Step 2: Remove fan leaves
Fan leaves are the iconic cannabis leaves with 5 or seven factors. The plant has had these leaves because it was within the vegetative stage. Fan leaves have little to no trichomes, so do away with them.
If trimming wet, it could also be faster to gently pull these off along with your palms, however they are often snipped off with scissors too. If dry trimming, you’ll must snip them.
Step 3: Buck buds from the department
Once fan leaves are off, reduce off particular person buds from branches, additionally referred to as “bucking.”
Trimmers normally create a pile of buds to work on, both on a desk or in a bowl or tray.
Make sure to maintain a separate pile for branches, stems, and fan leaves, and compost them.
Step 4: Trim buds
Now that you’re down to simply buds, get to trimming. If buds are too huge, break them down into smaller buds. A large bud would possibly look superior, nevertheless it won’t dry as evenly, making it prone to mold.
– Trim the stem at the underside of the bud as carefully as you possibly can with out inflicting the bud to interrupt down. You don’t need the stem to be uncovered anyplace however at the underside.
– Remove the crow’s toes-these are the leaves at the underside that appear to be little chook toes. Trim off additional plant matter. Manicure the bud. Angle your scissors. Keep them transferring. After a when you won’t even give it some thought.
The aim is to remove every thing that isn’t totally coated in trichomes. Create a uniform floor space across the buds. This consists of taking down purple pistils all of the strategy to the foliage. Pistils have little or no to zero trichomes.
Put all of your completed buds in a separate bowl or tray.
If wet trimming, you’ll want to place your completed buds on a drying rack for just a few days. If dry trimming, you’ll need to jar up your buds for curing.
Learn extra about drying and curing right here.
Pro ideas for trimming weed
Make sure that to gather your trim. You possibly can dry it too and both smoke it or use it to make edibles or different cannabis merchandise.
Remember to wipe your scissors with alcohol or swap them out with one other pair after they get lined in resin. Also, be certain that to keep away from shaving off massive sections of the nug without delay-this isn’t nice for the bud and it’ll scale back your yield.
Some trimmers save their “finger hash” or “scissor hash,” which is resin that builds up in your fingers or scissors when trimming. That is completely advantageous to smoke, it simply could also be a little bit harsh.
Hand-trimmed vs. machine-trimmed weed
As a homegrower, you’ll almost definitely be trimming your weed by hand, however some do put money into machine trimmers to chop out the monotonous trimming half. Commercial growers usually use machine trimmers as a result of they course of such a big amount of buds.
Pros and cons of hand trimming marijuana
– Individual buds will be formed to deliver out the qualities of every pressure
– Issues like mold or insects could be noticed
– It’s messy-you’ll need plenty of rubbing alcohol or coconut oil round
– Usually must depend on some buddies to assist
Pros and cons of machine trimming marijuana
The excessive demand for cannabis has paved the way in which for brand new applied sciences and an entire vary of machine trimmers. These trimmers do an unimaginable job of processing buds shortly, so they’re primarily utilized by giant-scale growers producing for the low finish of the market.
Highly environment friendly higher-degree techniques just like the Twister T2 (~$12,000) can trim as much as 19 lbs per hour, and decrease-priced techniques exist, such because the Trimpro Rotor ($1,750), for industrial growers. For homegrowers, there are trimmers such because the iPower ($120).